Saturday, June 8, 2019

Journal VI




APPENDIX 3: POST OBSERVATION STUDENT
TEACHER’S SELF-EVALUATION FORM (Journal)


Name: _Astrid Yarleth Trujillo Urriago_ Date: _Monday, May 13, 2019 to Friday, May 17, 2019_

Write a reflection about the classes you oriented this week (bear in mind the following aspects: what you planned, what you did, and what you would do differently if you were to teach your lessons again). Give examples and descriptions of those situations that, in your view, are relevant to your learning experience.
Sixth Week: Taking Some Advice

            During this week, I had the opportunity to teach one lesson since the other two groups I am working with had this week for carrying out the exam. The topic to be taught to these students was modal verbs functioning for making requests. Then, I prepared a PowerPoint presentation with short conversations in which the use of these modal verbs was highlighted in order to lead students into the topic. Talking to my advisor, she told me that something good I could have done in order for me to take advantage of this material was to work more with it, trying to explain each type of conversation so that the differences among the modal verbs were underlined and it was clearer for students. After I introduced the main topic for the lesson, I made an explanation of these modal verbs, telling students the main difference. Regarding this, something my advisor told me was that I could have used some Spanish because some students did not understand the explanation. For the last activity, I prepared a game in which students had to act out or draw in order for their team to guess what the request was. This activity was a little difficult to carry out since some students were not willing to participate. In order for me to not have this kind of problems, my advisor told me to think of some strategies that could make students be more active in terms of participation. In addition, she also told me about some strategies that could work. Additionally, she remarked the importance of catching all the students’ attention by asking them to repeat the answers from the other groups. Summing up, I would change a little the way in which I taught this lesson in terms of being more focused on what all the students were doing and try to catch their attention by trying that everyone participates in the activities being carried out.  

1 comment:

  1. ... I feel you. I have had the same problem sometimes when it comes to catch your students' attention. Even though it is important to do it, sometimes it so difficult that you cannot find the way of doing it. Especially, if we are talking about teenagers or adults. What I like to do is to bring topics that are somehow debatable for them so that they feel they must say something in order to leave "fingerprint" in the class. That has worked for me, maybe it should work for you too next time.

    ReplyDelete