APPENDIX 3: POST OBSERVATION STUDENT
TEACHER’S SELF-EVALUATION
FORM (Journal)
Name: _Astrid
Yarleth Trujillo Urriago____ Date: _Monday, April 1, 2019 to Friday,
April 5, 2019_
Write a
reflection about the classes you oriented this week (bear in mind the following
aspects: what you planned, what you did, and what you would do differently if you were to teach your lessons
again). Give examples and descriptions of those situations that, in your view,
are relevant to your learning experience.
First Week: Observation
In the first week of my practicum, I carried out the
observations of the three groups I am in charge of teaching. It was impossible
for me to do this process the first week of the semester since the Interlingua
groups were still a little messy. The first group I observed is an English
level II, which students are from the Education Faculty, more specifically from
the BA Natural Sciences Education Program. I could observe this class in two
occasions. The first time, the teacher told students about what book they were
going to be working on, they made a short presentation about themselves, and
they worked in groups in order to carry out an activity, which final product was
a short role-play. I could identify that this group is tidy and quiet, which
means it will not represent major problems about the group management. The
students from this group seem to understand the target language most of the
time since the teacher always speaks in English. However, students seem to have
some problems in terms of the pronunciation, vocabulary, and the tense they are
using to communicate. The second time I observed this group, I could notice it
takes students a lot of time to complete the tasks they are asked to do since
they do not understand what they have been asked to carry out; then, students
have to ask their classmates in order to achieve the goals. In addition, they
seem to forget some basic aspects about the target language such as how to tell
the time or which possessive adjective use with the pronouns. Students from
this group tend to be a little distracted. They are interested in having a good
pronunciation so they asked many questions about how to pronounce a word. Since
this is a homogeneous group, I think it will be interesting to implement my
innovation plan with these students and because they seem to enjoy activities
that means doing things different from the traditional ones.
The second group I
will be working with is also a lever II. This is a heterogeneous and large
group, which means it may be difficult to manage. Students expressed they would
like to develop the course through the implementation of different activities
such as worksheets, dynamic activities, conversations, and vocabulary
exercises. They also said they feel their English level is too low. From this
class, only some of the students participate and most of the students do not
follow the instructions given. Some students are very talkative and noisy,
besides they are most of the time using their cellphones. At the beginning,
they seemed to be a little confused about the verb “be”, but after some
examples and explanations, they remembered about it and it turned out they do
know the structures for present simple. However, when they are referring to the
third person, they do not use the verb in the correct form. The teacher uses
some motivation strategies such giving extra points to the students who
participate in class and they like it. They lack of vocabulary and need to be
provided with many clarifications for them to understand. Furthermore, students
from this group do not like activities in which they have to work on their own.
They like to move from their places and make communicative activities. These
students also ask many questions.
Finally, the last
group I observed was English level I. Most of the students from this group seem
to have good command of the target language. However, they are very noisy and
talkative. There are some moments in which students are focused on what the
teacher is saying and they like to participate when the activities are about
something that is different in their perception. This is not a very large
group, but the classroom is a little small for them to feel comfortable and for
the development of the class implementing some activities that require
movement. The majority of these students are from the BA Natural Sciences
Education Program. Sometimes it is difficult to get students’ attention since
they are noisy and messy. The implementation of good classroom management
activities and strategies will be necessary for working with this group. It is
important to keep students busy since after some time working in the same
exercise, students get messy and noisy again.
To sum up, I could
observe that for making a successful job with these three groups, many
interactive and dynamic activities will be necessary. It will be easier to work
with the smallest groups. Students like activities that mean doing something
different to what is usually done, but because of these activities, they also
get messy. For the groups, which are level II, I will have to give them more
time in the completion of the activities since they seem to work at a very slow
pace. Finally, with the level I, I will have to implement activities that
involve working in groups or at least in pairs and control the time carefully
in order to avoid chaos.
No comments:
Post a Comment