Saturday, May 25, 2019

Journal IV




APPENDIX 3: POST OBSERVATION STUDENT
TEACHER’S SELF-EVALUATION FORM (Journal)


Name: _Astrid Yarleth Trujillo Urriago_ Date: _Monday, April 29, 2019 to Friday, May 3, 2019_

Write a reflection about the classes you oriented this week (bear in mind the following aspects: what you planned, what you did, and what you would do differently if you were to teach your lessons again). Give examples and descriptions of those situations that, in your view, are relevant to your learning experience.
Fourth Week: Motivating my students

            The fourth week of my teaching practicum started on Monday with the students from English II. For this class, the topic to be taught was future “going to”. I prepared the class including some exercises from the book “World English”, which is the one students from this course are working with. In addition, I thought it was a good opportunity for me to carry out the first intervention of my innovation plan, so I prepared an activity in which I would provide students with some materials based on the real world. Then, I arranged to develop a travel brochure with different cities around the world for students to plan their next vacation. It seemed that students enjoyed the activity and the material since they were focused on working on the task. For developing this task, I gave them some questions for them to follow and make the activity easier. The time invested in the class was good. Students studied the topic in the previous class and although I had to explain the grammar structure again, I managed to carry out all the activities in time. The students’ level of participation in the other activities was low.
The next class I had this week was on Thursday since on Wednesday there was no class owing to the fact that that day was a holiday. The topic for this class was “present simple”. Like the other group, these students had also studied the topic in the previous class. However, I had to remind them about the spelling rules of the third person singular with verbs in the present simple tense. Then, I wrote the rules on the board and provided some examples for students to be clear about the topic. I asked them to do the first activity and since they had the rules clear, they did the task quickly and after that, I checked the answers along with the students. Afterward, I gave students a handout in which they had to find someone who does certain activities. They had to ask questions using the present simple structure. Students got excited about the activity that they wanted to do the task using all the questions in the worksheet; therefore, they did not sit down until they were done with all the questions. As the class started more than ten minutes later, it was impossible for me to carry out the final activity, which consisted of students writing about their daily routine. Hence, I told them to do it as homework. The participation with these students has never been a problem considering that some students participate very actively.       

No comments:

Post a Comment