Saturday, May 11, 2019

Journal II




APPENDIX 3: POST OBSERVATION STUDENT
TEACHER’S SELF-EVALUATION FORM (Journal)


Name: _Astrid Yarleth Trujillo Urriago_ Date: _Monday, April 8, 2019, to Friday, April 12, 2019_


Write a reflection about the classes you oriented this week (bear in mind the following aspects: what you planned, what you did, and what you would do differently if you were to teach your lessons again). Give examples and descriptions of those situations that, in your view, are relevant to your learning experience.

Second Week: Getting into the Teaching Experience

            During this week, I had the opportunity to carry out the planning and lessons I designed for the three different English courses at Universidad Surcolombiana I am in charge of. Firstly, I implemented the lesson plan for the English II students, who are from the Education Faculty. For these students, the topic to be taught was “past simple”. I had prepared all the materials I was going to need: I booked the video beam, printed the worksheets, studied the topic, and prepared the short video for the class. However, when I got to the university that Monday morning, I had to wait for almost 15 minutes until the professor in charge of the library arrives because I needed the video beam from the program in order to carry out the first exercise of my class. Then, I had to start the class 15 minutes late. In spite of that problem, I was able to accomplish all the stages established on my lesson plan since I made the adjustment of time so that the activities take a little shorter. The students from this group tend to be a little late for class; then, that was another problem, which I had to deal with. At the beginning of the class, students were a little shy but as time went by, some of them started to participate using some English. Overall, I consider this class was good.
            Secondly, the next class I had this week was the one with the other students from English level II, which are from different bachelor degrees. The lesson plan for this class was quite similar to the one I had implemented with the other students because the topic was practically the same. I used the same video for introducing the topic and then I made the explanation. I perceived that it was almost impossible that students pay attention to what I was saying or make them participate. When I handed in the worksheet to them and explained what the exercise was about, in the beginning, they have not understood the instructions I gave them, but then, I repeated the instructions and they seemed to have understood this time. At the end of the class, it was impossible to carry out the post activity because there was no time left and students started to go 15 minutes before the class ended.
            Finally, the last class I had to carry out was with the students from English level I. This class took place on Thursday at eight in the morning. I had to start this class five minutes later since the teacher that had class in that classroom earlier took so long to leave the classroom. The students from this group were quiet at the beginning of the class and they did not want to participate but when I gave them some examples, they wanted to participate. One good aspect of this group is that every time a student participated, they tried to do so using the target language. The class was good, students understood the topic right away and when they do not, they asked me some questions. In addition, the job carried out by these students was of great quality and they did it on time. I had no major problems with these students, but I consider that the classroom is a little small for thirty students and the noise from the air conditioner sometimes suggests a problem for the communication practices.         

No comments:

Post a Comment